.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

8 dogs escape from Rineyville kennel fire

-A A +A

Home spared as flames damage detached garage

By Neal Cardin

Eight dogs escaped harm Sunday afternoon after their kennel was destroyed by fire, which also heavily damaged a garage.

Previous
Play
Next

A large camping trailer also was damaged in front of the garage in the 4000 block of Thomas Road near Rineyville. A car, also parked in front of the garage, was moved away from the blaze by a neighbor.

Homeowner Meg Moore said she had eight dogs that slept in the kennel and all survived.

“I don’t know what I would have done if one of my babies had gotten hurt,” she said as the dogs ran around firefighters.

Moore and neighbors watched from the driveway as firefighters worked in the attic of the garage, putting out pockets of fire, and sprayed water on the kennel area.

Rineyville Assistant Fire Chief Byron Smith said when firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the garage and they had to force open the bay door.

“When we opened the garage door, the fire flashed over in the garage area,” Smith said. “The fire appeared to start in the kennel area where a heat lamp was used to keep the dogs warm.”

Smith said the kennel was at the back of the garage and spread to the building. The adjacent house, detached from the garage, was not damaged.

Rineyville and Vine Grove fire departments responded to the blaze along with Hardin County EMS. No injuries were reported.

Neal Cardin can be reached at 270-505-1753 or at ncardin@thenewsenteprise.com.