.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Fire destroys Radcliff residence

-A A +A

More than 30 firefighters respond

By Sarah Bennett

A preliminary investigation indicates a fire began Tuesday night in the kitchen and turned a home into a “total loss.”

Previous
Play
Next

Vine Grove Fire Chief Steve New said homeowner Jesse Freeman and his two young children were cooking in the kitchen when the blaze started, New said. A preliminary investigation indicates the flames started as a grease fire.

The residents were not injured, New said. One firefighter went to Hardin Memorial Hospital for chest pains but is fine, the chief said Wednesday.

Firefighters responded to the emergency call at 7:50 p.m. Tuesday at 227 Dogwood Drive off South Boundary Road, which has a Radcliff address but sits outside the city limits.

Although firefighters were able to control the flames quickly, he said the overall damage was extensive. The fire got into the attic and in the insulation, which smolders rather than breaking out in flames.

Firefighters responding included 20 from Vine Grove, 10 from Radcliff, five from Rineyville. Hardin County EMS also responded. The number of firefighters was necessary as the fire extended to the attic and insulation, he said.

Crews were present  until 12:51 a.m., more than five hours, New said.

The Dogwood Drive home was badly damaged in the fire, the chief said, calling it a “total loss.”

Whether it is recovered is up to the insurance company, he said.

“It would have to be extensively repaired for sure,” New said.

Sarah Bennett can be reached at (270) 505-1750 or sbennett@thenewsenterprise.com.