Former Nappy Roots member arrested in Hardin County

-A A +A

Louisville resident charged after altercation with troopers

By Sarah Bennett

A Louisville man faces a felony assault charge following an altercation with police Saturday morning at a traffic safety checkpoint on Ky. 313.

Kenneth Ryan Anthony, 35, was arrested on charges of third-degree assault — police officer, second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, menacing and alcohol intoxication in public.

Anthony, also known as R. Prophet, is a former member of Nappy Roots, a Louisville-based hip-hop group that formed in Bowling Green. Anthony left the outfit in 2006.

Anthony was a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped at a checkpoint on Ky. 313 situated between Interstate 65 and the intersection at U.S. 31W, according to a news release from Kentucky State Police Post 4.

Though the driver was arrested for driving under the influence, police said they initially did not arrest Anthony. He was told he could call someone to pick him up, according to the release.

“However, Anthony kept walking into traffic, disregarding troopers’ warnings to remain in one location for his safety and the safety of other motorists,” the release reads.

Troopers confronted Anthony, but he grew “combative” and refused to comply with repeated commands, police said.

When a trooper attempted to place Anthony under arrest, he resisted and was taken to the ground, according to the release.

Anthony continued to ignore commands, causing troopers to deliver several rounds from a Taser so they could place handcuffs on him, according to police.

“He continued to kick troopers as they carried him to the cruiser,” the release reads. “He was administered several more rounds from the Taser as he continued to fight between cycles.”

Once Anthony was inside the state police vehicle, troopers said he kicked the driver’s side rear window, causing damage to the cruiser and cutting his foot.

According to police, troopers again deployed a Taser as well as pepper spray, both of which were ineffective.

They then restrained his feet using seatbelts. However, Anthony then proceeded to ram his head into the cruiser’s interior, according to the release.

After a final round from a Taser, police said Anthony was subdued and taken to Hardin Memorial Hospital for evaluation.

Following medical treatment, he was transported to the Hardin County Detention Center. He has since been released on a $5,000 bond.

Third-degree assault is a Class D felony, which is punishable by one to five years in prison if found guilty, according to Kentucky Revised Statutes. Anthony’s remaining charges are misdemeanors.

Sarah Bennett can be reached at (270) 505-1750 or sbennett@thenewsenterprise.com.