Fort Knox shooting suspect charged

-A A +A

Army CID apprehends 3/1 soldier in Tennessee

By Sarah Bennett

A soldier in the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division wanted for questioning in the shooting death of a Fort Knox civilian employee was charged with murder Thursday after he was apprehended in a town 5 miles south of the Kentucky-Tennessee border.

Chris Grey, spokesman for the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command, said the soldier was located in Portland, Tenn., where he was apprehended by Portland Police Department and CID agents.

The newspaper there, The Portland Leader, reported Thursday afternoon the soldier, identified as Marquinta E. Jacobs, 37, was found driving his mother’s vehicle. According to the newspaper, Jacobs’ mother lives in Portland.

The newspaper also reported the black motorcycle officials believed the man used to flee the area was found behind his mother’s home.

According to a CID news release, Jacobs was wanted for questioning in regard to a shooting Wednesday afternoon in a parking lot near the Human Resources Command headquarters at Fort Knox. An Army civilian employee, identified in court documents as “L.G.,” was pronounced dead Wednesday night at Ireland Army Community Hospital.

Officials have not released the victim’s name, and Fort Knox Public Affairs Officer Kyle Hodges said it likely would not be released until today.

The investigation is ongoing, Grey said, and the shooting appears to be a “domestic issue and not a random act of violence.”

According to the Associated Press, the criminal complaint said a witness saw Jacobs have a verbal exchange in the human resources building parking lot with “L.G.” and shoot him several times before fleeing in a Dodge pickup truck.

AP also reported investigators found eight shell casings at the scene.

On Thursday, Hardin County Clerk Kenny Tabb confirmed Jacobs is a Radcliff resident who owns a house in the 600 block of Independence Drive. According to The News-Enterprise archives, the residence was transferred to Jacobs’ ownership in 2010.

In the hours following Wednesday’s shooting, police vehicles with flashing lights filled the block where Jacobs’ home is located, said Linda Brangers, who also lives on Independence Drive.

Brangers said she took her trash out around 9 p.m. Wednesday to find the road blocked by police vehicles, including Radcliff and Kentucky State Police cruisers.

“I thought, ‘What’s going on and is it even safe to be here?’” she said.

In the 14 years she’s lived on Independence Drive, Brangers said she has never seen such police activity on the street.

The Radcliff resident said she didn’t know what was happening and returned inside, locking the doors because she didn’t “want to be a part of that.”

In response to Wednesday’s shooting, Fort Knox entered a full lockdown just before 6 p.m., closing gates to inbound and outbound traffic. Chaffee Gate reopened about an hour later, and 12 hours after entering lockdown, Fort Knox re-opened all gates to traffic.

Army CID is leading the investigation with assistance from the FBI field office in Louisville. Anyone with information about Wednesday’s shooting is asked to contact U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command at (502) 624-6332 or Fort Knox Police at (502) 624-2111.

Sarah Bennett can be reached at (270) 505-1750 or sbennett@thenewsenterprise.com.