.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Jan. 3, 2013: Our readers write

-A A +A

Start new year with smoke detectors

Several years ago, the Rineyville Fire Department responded to a structure fire that claimed two lives. After the investigation, it was determined that the occupants  did not have a working smoke detector properly placed in the residence. 

The investigation found the occupants succumbed to smoke, as a result of the fire, while trying to escape.

While working to extinguish hot spots, we began to hear faint chirping in the residence, this lead to the discovery of a smoke detector inside of a drawer of the bedroom dresser.

To this day, I believe the occupants could have survived if that life-saving device was properly placed with a working battery. 

Annually, we go to the Rineyville Elementary School to spend a day with students and teach fire safety. This year as we spoke to the students, we challenged them (as we do every year) to go home and make sure they have a working smoke detector. A remarkable amount of children reported back to their teachers, that not only did their detector not work, but many did not even have one.

This concerned me greatly as a fire chief. With the help of the school staff, the Rineyville Fire Department purchased a 10-year lithium ion battery-powered smoke detector for every family that reported not having one. 

Early warning in the home is the single most important thing you can do to protect yourself, your family and firefighters. We take extraordinary risks when we are dispatched to reports of victims inside a burning structure and we risk our own lives to save others trapped in fires. 

This will now become an annual part of our prevention message as our Annual Smoke Detector Initiative to try to get a working smoke detector in every home. What we do is more than lights and sirens. 

Please make a New Year’s resolution to protect yours and ours because only working smoke detectors can save lives.

Shane Crutcher, chief

Rineyville Volunteer Fire Department

 

Concerned about mayor’s pay raise

For the Radcliff City Council to raise the mayor’s salary by $13,000 without due process and without public input is enough to cause suspicion and mistrust in the public eye. Especially since the city’s fiscal year begins in 2014.

I miss former Mayor Sheila Enyart. She listened to the public. One example is when we had a problem with speeders on Nalls Lane and the police couldn’t help. The mayor met with the residents of Nalls Lane on the street and discussed a solution. She solved the problem with a permanent solution.

When we complained that the streets on the outskirts of Radcliff were being neglected compared to the streets in downtown area, she listened and we received better maintenance service with limb, branches and leaf pick up.

Now it seems like we have gone back to the old way of doing business so I object to any salary increase until we have better service because for the past two years the City of Radcliff and the maintenance department gets a D-minus.

I had to haul off some of the branches while other limbs and branches laid by the street three months. When I called, I was told they where contracted to pick them up only three times a year. 

No leaves where picked up until late in December after I had sent a message to Councilwoman Barbara Baker. However, the crew only picked up half the leaves and missed the piles on the left side of my drive which dams up the whole drainage system. I still have more leaves in the back that I can’t move because the maintenance can’t move the ones in front. Should we begin burning the leaves as we did before the city passed the “no burn” law and promised it would keep the leaves out of the gutters.

I hope the Radcliff City Council is paying attention because a 31 percent raise on such a short notice (or should I say no notice) is absurd.

Jerry Cooke

Radcliff