- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The jury trial in the case against a former West Point man facing 19 felony sex charges was scheduled to begin Monday but has been continued for two months.
Jimmie Sturgill, 65, was indicted last year on two counts of first-degree sexual abuse and 16 counts of unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual or prohibited activities. Last month in separate case he was indicted on first-degree sodomy.
All of the charges involve minors who were younger than 16 at the time of the alleged offenses. Three of the girls were foster children and a fourth was a neighbor, according to police.
Thirteen days before the trial was set to begin in the 2012 case, Sturgill’s attorney, Eric Bates, filed a motion to reassign the jury trial date, according to records.
Bates stepped in as defense counsel in February after Sturgill’s former attorney, Steve Mirkin, moved, Commonwealth’s Attorney Shane Young said.
According to Bates’ written motion, there are more than 500 pages of documents to be shared in the 2012 case in addition to the new indictment in March.
The attorney’s limited amount of time to prepare for trial would “compromise” Sturgill’s ability to present a defense, according to the motion.
“The long list of indicted offenses and multitude of potential witnesses has made it extremely difficult to investigate possible defenses,” the document reads. “More time is needed to pursue these defenses.”
Young said the commonwealth objected to the motion. Hardin Circuit Court Judge Ken Howard ultimately approved the motion April 4 and a new trial date has been assigned for June 3.
Sturgill is released on a partially secured $50,000 bond.
Sarah Bennett can be reached at (270) 505-1750 or firstname.lastname@example.org.