- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Annoying and possibly dangerous mosquitos and ticks are out in force. To help take back your yard, practice the five Ts, according to Mosquito Squad, an exterminating company specializing in treating for mosquitoes and ticks.
1. Tip. Dump all standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including that underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls. Mosquitoes need standing water, and not much of it, to breed.
2. Trim. Practice tick management by removing tall grass and mowing often. Install a generous depth of wood chips or gravel between the lawn and wooded areas.
3. Turn. Turn over larger items like children’s wagons or plastic toys.
4. Remove Tarp. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment aren't pulled taught, they’re holding water.
5. Treat. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray.
Have an idea for The List? Email email@example.com.