Mother, son die in E'town fire

-A A +A

A mother and her 6-year-old son died early Saturday morning in a fire on Claudie Avenue in southern Elizabethtown.

Deandra “Dee” McIntyre, 46, and Ryan James Rothert, 6, were pronounced dead at Hardin Memorial Hospital from injuries sustained in the fire. Hardin County Deputy Coroner John Clemens said smoke inhalation was the likely cause of death.

Fire departments were called at 12:32 a.m. The Central Hardin, Elizabethtown, Valley Creek and Glendale fire departments responded.

The fire was contained to the basement of the one-story home near the end of the street. Claudie Avenue is about a mile past the Elizabethtown Country Club off Hodgenville Road. McIntyre and her son were found in a basement bedroom of the house.

“For the most part the fire was in the basement,” Central Hardin assistant chief Carlus Sallee said. “There was smoke damage throughout the home.”

He said at least one other person was in the home when the fire broke out and escaped.

See Sunday's print edition of The News-Enterprise for more details.