.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Oxygen tank, cigarette blamed for house fire on South Wilson Road

-A A +A

One resident transported to hospital

By Sarah Bennett

Two Hardin County residents were hurt Friday morning in a house fire which officials believe started when a woman lit a cigarette while an oxygen tank was on.

Previous
Play
Next

Rineyville, Radcliff and Vine Grove firefighters responded around 11:13 a.m. to 5504 S. Wilson Road. Rineyville Assistant Chief Tim Wiseman said flames were visible when the first officials arrived at 11:23 a.m.

Homeowners Gale and Roberta Johnson were in the single-story residence with a caregiver when the fire started, Wiseman said. All the occupants were outside when firefighters arrived.

According to Wiseman, one resident was hooked up to an oxygen tank. While the oxygen was being pumped, Roberta Johnson lit a cigarette, which he said caused a flare up.

Although the caregiver was able to put out some of the flames, the curtains caught fire, Wiseman said, and the blaze spread throughout the interior and through the roof in the back of the home.

Roberta Johnson was transported to Hardin Memorial Hospital, Wiseman said. Ira Dyer, deputy director of Hardin County EMS, said the woman’s injuries were not life threatening.

Wiseman said Gale Johnson also was injured but ultimately refused treatment.

Firefighters were able to control the flames in about 10 minutes, Wiseman said. A total of 17 firefighters responded. The scene was cleared around 1:35 p.m., he said.

Fire officials were assisted by Hardin County EMS, Radcliff Police Department and Kentucky State Police.

Sarah Bennett can be reached at (270) 505-1750 or sbennett@thenewsenterprise.com.