.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Rineyville area mobile home destroyed in blaze

-A A +A

Fire starts when fuel spills from generator, fire officials say

By Sarah Bennett

Three local fire departments responded to a blaze Wednesday morning at a Rineyville mobile home after a generator the homeowner was working on ignited.

Previous
Play
Next

Rineyville Fire Department Chief Shane Crutcher said 19 firefighters and six units from Rineyville, Radcliff and Vine Grove departments responded after midnight Wednesday to a double-wide mobile home at 692 Deckard School Road.

The homeowner sustained burns to his head and arm, but refused treatment, Crutcher said.

According to Crutcher, the homeowner told firefighters he powers his mobile home using generators, one of which broke.

The man brought the generator inside to work on it, Crutcher said. As he worked on it, he was seated next to a radiant heater and gasoline can.

Some of the fuel spilled, causing a flare up which ignited the generator, the chief said.

The homeowner woke up the other two occupants, who exited the mobile home, Crutcher said.

The man also attempted to remove the flaming generator from the mobile home but was unable to do so, so emergency personnel were contacted, Crutcher said.

When firefighters arrived, the fire was at the center of the residence with flames flashing from the front door and windows, he said.

Responders did not attempt to make entry because the occupants had exited and the fire consumed much of the residence at that point, the chief said.

“We went into a defensive operation almost immediately,” Crutcher said.

Crutcher was unsure how much gasoline was in the can or how much was spilled but said there were several sources in the home to power the flames, including two propane tanks.

He estimated the fire was controlled in about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene between 4:30 and 5 a.m., Crutcher said.

The mobile home is a total loss, he said.

According to Crutcher, the American Red Cross also responded and made contact with the family.

Sarah Bennett can be reached at (270) 505-1750 or sbennett@thenewsenterprise.com.