A 7-year-old boy who died Thursday afternoon was strangled by his older brother, police said Friday.

Hardin County Sheriff John Ward said the Hardin County Sheriff’s Office and Hardin County EMS responded shortly after noon Thursday to a subdivision off Ky. 1600 near Vine Grove for an emergency call. When police arrived at the home, they found the boy unconscious. Medics transported the child to Hardin Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police have charged his older brother, a 15-year-old boy, with murder. He is being held in an undisclosed juvenile detention center.

“This is an unusual event in a normally quiet neighborhood,” Ward said. “Anytime you have a loss of life, it’s disturbing, but when you have a 7-year-old child that has lost their life ... it troubles everyone.”

Police would not release the name of the suspect because he is a juvenile.

Ward said the strangulation was caused by hands and he believes “it was definitely not an accident.”

A family member at the home called 911, Ward said, adding there was adult supervision at the home.

An autopsy was completed Friday morning at the state medical examiner office in Louisville.

Ward said he could not discuss what led up to the strangulation or if there were prior emergency calls at the residence. He did not anticipate any additional charges.

“The investigation is ongoing,” he said.

The family of the victim and suspect declined to be interviewed.

Shana Norton, Hardin County deputy coroner, said she would not be releasing the name.

In his obituary, the victim was identified as Karsen Lee Miller. The son of Mark and Sharon Miller, he was a student at North Park Elementary School known as a “quirky dresser who loved his bowties,” according to the obituary.

County Attorney Jenny Oldham said she was limited in information she could release, but said the suspect had not been arraigned as of Friday. Kentucky, like other states, has numerous laws that mandate privacy for criminal matters involving juveniles.

The News-Enterprise submitted an open records request for the emergency call, which was denied. The newspaper also submitted an open records request for the autopsy results. A response is pending.

Trey Crumbie can be reached at 270-505-1747 or tcrumbie@thenewsenterprise.com.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Terms of Use. The complete terms of use policy can be found at the bottom of this page.