Wife’s grave disturbed, urn removed

A hole is seen at the site of Chasidy Wolford's grave in Victory Baptist Church Cemetery in Buffalo. Wolford died June 12 in a house fire. Her husband, Joshua Wolford, has been charged with violating the grave.

In a case being called “alarming,” a widower has been arrested following the disturbance of his late wife’s grave.

Joshua Wolford, 32, whose wife died in a June 12 fire at the family’s Buffalo residence, is in the LaRue County Detention Center charged with violating her grave.

“I think everyone is curious and it’s alarming,” LaRue County Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Whitney Meredith said. “It’s not something you normally see, especially from the grieving spouse. It’s alarming especially to the family.

“I’ve not had one of these cases in LaRue County,” she added.

Wolford, 32, a father of five, was arrested late last month after he reportedly dug up the urn containing her ashes from the cemetery at Victory Baptist Church.

Chasidy Wolford’s body was found June 12 inside their home at 618 S. Otter Creek Road in the southern edge of LaRue County near Buffalo.

After Kentucky State Police were notified the grave had been disturbed, Wolford was located June 29 and questioned. He had been living out of his car, according to police, and that’s where officers reportedly found the urn.

“He gave consent to search the vehicle,” Meredith said. “I believe police found it in a blue nylon bag covered by other garbage bags.”

The citation said Wolford acknowledged having dug up the urn earlier that same day.

Wolford was charged with one count of violating graves and lodged in the LaRue County Detention Center in lieu of a $5,000 cash bond. The charge is a Class D felony punishable by one to five years in prison, if convicted.

According to Meredith, Wolford waived a preliminary hearing Wednesday in LaRue District Court. It has been sent to the LaRue County grand jury, which will convene Aug. 19.

Trooper Scotty Sharp, spokesman for KSP Post 4, said the house fire remains under investigation.

“Everything else concerning her death and the fire is an open investigation as if it’s a criminal case, but no one has been charged,” Meredith said.

Wolford’s children are in the custody of his parents, according to authorities.

Wolford was represented Wednesday by a court appointed attorney Heather Temple.

Gina Clear can be reached at 270-505-1744 or gclear@thenewsenterprise.com. The LaRue County Herald News contributed to this report.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Terms of Use. The complete terms of use policy can be found at the bottom of this page.