In gymnastics, athletes compete both as individuals and as a team. Although Becca’s Place Gymnastics in Cecilia has had several individual wins throughout the years, owner Jen Ryan said their Xcel Gold team secured its first team state title this season, topping 14 other teams from around Kentucky.
Additionally, Ryan said this year marked the largest number of state titles and regional qualifiers they have had in a single season to date, which she called “amazing in and of itself.”
“However, knowing what all these athletes had to overcome during the pandemic to achieve this success, it feels a little like a miracle,” she said.
State titles and regional qualifiers from Becca’s Place Gymnastics are:
• State All Around Winners, athletes that had the highest combined score on four events in their age group in the state: Lauren Forbis, Myah Jorgensen, Mattie McCollum, Peyton Miller and Kassidy Packman.
• State Event Champions, athletes who had the highest score in one individual event in the state in their age group: Greer Abang, Allie Akins, Annistyn Brown, Eliza Bland-Elliott, Katelyn Chism, Michele Curd, Emma Eisenman, Lauren Forbis, Emmie Galvin, Myah Jorgensen, Trinity Lucas, Mattie McCollum, Peyton Miller, Kassidy Packman, LuJayne Qaisi, Morgan Paden, Karsen Rainer, Grace Russell, Macy VanMeter and LilyAnne Zega.
• Xcel Silver Regional Qualifiers, athletes who achieved an AA score of 36.0 to qualify for regionals: Haley Allen, Lucia Alvarez-Lopez, Tylee Bell, Audrey Bennett, Annistyn Brown, Stella Clagett, Emma Eisenman, Jaina Fulkerson, Emmie Galvin, Rachael Hammons, Jovie Johnson, Peyton Karczewski, Mattie McCollum, Alexus New, Olivia Parkerson, Kadyn Shive, Macy VanMeter and Kimber Wise.
• Xcel Gold Regional Qualifiers, athletes who achieved an AA score of 35.5 and will compete in Battle Creek, Michigan, in May against athletes from Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and Michigan: Maya Jones, Myah Jorgensen, Zaara Kees, Cameron Metcalf, Peyton Miller, Brooklynne Perry, LuJayne Qaisi and Claire Walsburger.
• Xcel Platinum Regional Qualifiers, athletes who achieved an AA score of 35.0 and will compete in Battle Creek, Michigan, in May against athletes from Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and Michigan: Greer Abang, Emma Ballard, Haiden Cammack, Ayla Neel and Kassidy Packman.
• Xcel Diamond Regional Qualifiers, athletes who achieved an event score of higher than 9.0 and will compete in Battle Creek, Michigan, are Kennedy Slayton and Lavender Grace Vessels.
• Level 7 Regional Qualifiers, an athlete who achieved an AA score of 35 and will compete in April in Indianapolis: Allie Akins.
• Level 8 Regional Qualifiers, an athlete who achieved an event score of higher than a 9.0 on 2 events and will compete in April in Indianapolis: Emma Akins.
• Level 9 Regional Qualifiers, athletes who achieved an event score of higher than a 9.0 on one or more events and will compete in Cincinnati against athletes from Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan: Michele Curd and Caroline Yates.
“Our program is our ministry and while we enjoy being successful, we love just doing life with these athletes. We love the opportunities we are given to teach them more than gymnastics. After this very long year, we especially appreciate the support of our community and our gymnastics family,” said Ryan, who owns the business with her sister, Jessica Bohannon-Ferriss. “We are incredibly blessed.”